This course will explore ways of drawing with the sewing machine. Students will learn to use their sewing machine for free machine embroidery, as well as experimenting with stitching on different surfaces including paper and cloth, we will be adding colour through appliqué techniques and some monoprinting. Through drawing, photography and stitch we will develop experimental samples leading to completed composed pieces. The focus will be on drawing/photographing the figure in architectural space, however participants can use the techniques learned to follow their own personal ideas or develop something new. You will be encouraged to experiment and to explore the possibilities of drawing through stitching. The 5 days will be as follows:
1. Drawing from life, photographing people. Stitching and transfer of drawings onto cloth.
2. Appliqué using bondaweb and fabric scraps. Stitching on a variety of papers (old maps, book pages, etc).
Stitching on to transparent fabrics and surfaces.
3. Monoprinting (gelli printing) on to cloth. Using stitch and threads and stencils. To create printed samples to stitch on.
4. Development of individual final pieces
5. Completion of final works.